This Whole 30 chocolate cherry smoothie is a huge hit in our household. It reminds me SO much of a Wendy’s frosty, but without the sugar, fat and unnecessary calories. You can think of it a super healthy faux frosty!
Can You Drink Smoothies While On Whole 30?
Are you allowed to have smoothies on Whole 30? Technically, the answer is no. The founders of Whole 30 want you to eat solid foods, without added sweeteners, for the first 30 days. If you want to follow their elimination plan strictly, you can check out the whole 30 book here.
If you are like me however, you’ve adopted bits and pieces of the Whole 30 and Paleo diets in order to gain the most out of your nutrition. For me this means avoiding sugar, wheat and dairy as much as possible.
This delicious chocolate cherry smoothie fits the bill for me in that regard.
If you are a bit less strict on the Whole 30 smoothie rules, this is an excellent protein filled drink for breakfast or snacks.
Trim Healthy Mama E Meal
If you are following the Trim Healthy Mama eating plan, this smoothie is a wonderful Energizing, or E meal.
E meals rely on carbohydrates as their fuel. They limit fats (less than 5 grams). It has always been a challenge for me to figure out what to eat for E meals. I have slowly discovered a few staple E snacks and this smoothie is one of them. I love how simple it is to make. No THM “special ingredients” needed!
This smoothie uses protein filled collagen as its base. Combined with the fiber from the cherries, it satisfies and gives energy for several hours.
I love to make this smoothie as a mid afternoon pick me up. It’s like indulging in a delicious milk shake- minus the sugar blues!
How To Incorporate This Healthy Smoothie Into THM
Here are a few ways you can incorporate this delicious smoothie into your THM eating plan:
- Make as an afternoon pick me up, 3 hours after an S meal (or 2 hours if nursing).
- Enjoy as an E lunch alongside a nice salad featuring loads of fresh veggies and a little quinoa.
- Turn the smoothie into a crossover by adding MCT oil. (This is useful if you are breastfeeding or need to maintain weight.)
- Enjoy for breakfast with a side of oatmeal.
- Just remember, if you are in weight loss mode, avoid consuming fat with alongside this smoothie.
Whole 30 Chocolate Cherry Smoothie Ingredients
Here is what you need for your healthy cherry smoothie:
- Chocolate Collagen Powder: Collagen powder is what is going to give your smoothie filling (and fueling) protein. I use Vital Protein Chocolate Collagen Powder and love it.
- Frozen Cherries I use organic frozen cherries from Costco for this recipe. You can get a huge bag (which is needed around these parts).
- Almond Milk
- Cocoa Powder: Using a quality cocoa powder makes all the difference. I have been really enjoying Volupta Organic Cocoa.
- Spinach: Optional Nutrient Boost
Tips For Making Your Healthy Chocolate Cherry Smoothie
- Dump All Ingredients In Blender
Wait… what! Yes, it really is that simple. You are going to take all of your ingredients, in no special order, dump them in your blender, and mix until smooth. Hey, I’m a homeschooling mom of 4. I like to keep things simple around here!
In reality, you can play around with this recipe quite a bit. If you want it more creamy, add a bit more milk. If you love vanilla, make your splash a bit more enthusiastic.
Really, you just can’t go wrong here. Adjust to your likings.
The Best Blender For Frozen Fruit Smoothies
My husband and I were scraping by financially when he gifted me a Vitamix for my birthday 8 years ago and I’ve used and abused it mercilessly since. At least one smoothie per day for 8 years people. I’ve never replaced the blades or motor.
Eight years and 3,000 smoothies later I can say it was clearly worth the investment! Thanks, hubby!
Whole 30 Chocolate Cherry Smoothie
- 1 Blender Strong blender reccommended
- 1 cup frozen organic cherries
- 1 cup ice
- 1 cup no sugar almond milk
- 2 tbsp cocoa powder
- 1 splash vanilla
- 1 serving chocolate collagen powder
- 1 cup spinach optional
- Add ice, cherries, almond milk, cocoa, collagen, and vanilla to blender
- Add spinach if desired
- Blend very well
- Test to make sure all ice has blended, adjust liquid if needed