I’m sharing these good mood essential oils today in hopes that they will help you increase happiness and decrease stress!
What Essential Oils Are Best For Mood?
I’ve been sharing with you my journey of recovering from anxiety and depression. Through many aspects of holistic treatment, I’ve been able to keep my depression and anxiety at bay.
It is such a relief to know that there are natural remedies and lifestyle changes we can make to improve our moods. I can testify first hand that there are natural approaches to enhancing mood that can make a tremendous difference in our mental health.
God is so good to provide these many natural remedies for us!
And what better way to sweeten the mood and uplift the spirits than with a delicious smelling essential oil? Luckily, there are many different essential oils that are linked to an increase in happiness and reduction in anxiety and depression.
(Please note I am sharing my experience only. Please take a holistic approach to improving your mood and build a support team with a qualified physician.)
In my experience, the best essential oils for mood are:
Lemon Essential Oil To Boost Mood
Close your eyes for a moment and imagine a lemon, freshly squeezed. What do the colors and fragrance remind you of? Bright, yellow, sweet and tangy. Happiness in a fruit?
It may be so, because lemon essential oil is proven to boost the mood and increase feelings of happiness and may decrease anxiety and depression.
How To Use Lemon Essential Oil To Uplift Your Mood:
- Diffuse lemon essential oils around the house for 30 minutes at a time
- Open a jar of lemon essential oil and inhale deeply
- Add one drop of lemon essential oil to a glass jar of ice water and enjoy
DoTerra Balance For Uplifting Spirits
DoTerra Balance is a blend that includes blue tansy, frankincense, ho wood leaf, and more. It is a grounding blend that is wonderfully calming.
When I’m overwhelmed and feeling down, I diffuse Balance for an instant pick me up. Diffusing Balance can change the whole mood of our household in just a few moments.
On a stormy day, I love pairing the scent of Balance cheerily diffusing away with my comforting protein rich Paleo hot cocoa. All the homey and comforting vibes ensue.
This post contains affiliate links. If you click through a link and make a purchase, I may receive a small commission at no extra cost to you.
Frankincense Essential Oil For Mood
It’s either the Biblical reference or the heavenly smell, I’m not sure… but Frankincense lifts my spirits and increases my happiness every time.
Does Frankincense make you happy? With its hormone balancing properties, and ability to promote feelings of calm and comfort, it just might.
Frankincense is a wonderful essential oil to encourage balancing out mood swings.
How To Use Frankincense Essential For Mood Improvement:
- Diffuse frankincense for 30 minutes
- Mix a few drops in coconut oil and massage along shoulders
- Create a frankincense roller bottle and massage down spine and on bottoms of feet
doTerra Citrus Bliss For Mood Support
Heading back towards our citrus oils, I have to rave out doTerra Citrus Bliss. This happy oil is filled with wild orange, lemon, grapefruit, bergamont, tangerine and clementine.
It’s like opening a bottle of sunshine and diffusing it throughout your home!
Citrus Bliss is a favorite citrus oil to diffuse when my spirit is low. I sometimes just open the bottle and breathe deeply for a few moments. It brings to mind memories of sunny, carefree childhood summers.
How To Use Citrus Bliss Essential Oils For Mood Enhancement:
- Add a few drops to your sheets when in the dryer for a dose of happiness before bed
- Diffuse in the morning for a bright and cheery start to the day
- Combine a few drops with coconut oil for an uplifting hand massage
A Few More Mood Boosting Essential Oils
A few more of the best mood boosting essential oils that I have used and loved:
- Adaptiv is a calming oil that helps one adjust to life’s hardest moments. I have used this oil for combating stress and anxiety. The copaiba and rosemary in this blend promote feelings of peace and well being.
- Lavendar is well known to be relaxing and calming. Lavendar can help turn off the fight or flight response, allowing your body to finally relax and enjoy life again. I love using a few drops of lavender in my laundry for a warm rush of peace and happiness when pulling clothes out of the dryer.
- With its delicious scent, Cheer Blend by doTerra is one of my absolute favorite mood boosting essential oils. Citrus and spice combine together to create an uplifting and almost peppy aura. I love using citrus as a perfume, just a few drops in a carrier oil applied to the wrists.
A Few FAQ On Mood Boosting Essential Oils
What scents are best for depression?
In my experience, the best scents for depression are lemon, frankincense, copaiba, lavender, blue tansy, clementine, wild orange and tangerine.
Can Essential Oils Really Improve Mood?
From my lengthy experience of treating my own anxiety and depression, the answer is yes, essential oils really can improve mood. Essential oils can be used as part of a well rounded natural approach to warding off anxiety and depression.
What Is The Best Way To Use Essential Oils to Boost Mood?
Essential oils are powerful and can potentially be toxic if consumed the wrong way. The safest way to use essential oils for mood boosting are to diffuse a small amount in a quality diffuse for 30 minutes.
You can also take a no contact approach of using essentials by just inhaling the scent. Create a homemade air freshener with natural essential oils, open a bottle and breathe deeply, or add a few drops to your dryer.
I personally love and enjoy creating a massage blend of Adaptive, Frankincense or Balance with coconut oil in order to create a relaxing and uplifting massage. Trade massages with your partner or kids!
Improving Your Mood With Daily Essential Oil Use
If you are struggling with a low mood, please know you are not alone! I use essential oils daily to encourage feelings of well being and happiness in my life. Seeking peace and calm is a life long journey, and essential oils are a powerful natural tool we can safely use.
I hope you also can benefit from the powerful natural mood enhancing properties of essential oils!
For more mood boosting posts visit: